The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Arrives at Borgman Mazda in Grand Rapids Fall 2018
Whether you’ve just recently taken a Miata for a test drive at Borgman or have been a fan of the roadster for years, you know just how much fun they are to drive. The low curb weight, spirited engine, responsive handling (and of course the optional roof) all make this the perfect summer car for cruising West Michigan. They’re hands-down the most fun you’ll have in a roadster relative to their price tag.
Though if you’re ok with waiting until fall, Mazda has just announced some enhancements for the 2019 model year. These include increased efficiency and power through lighter engine components, a much higher rev limit, color options and more. This latest article from Inside Mazda tells the full story – take a look at some excerpts below:
2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Packs More Punch, Features
Mazda’s Revised Roadster Goes On Sale In The U.S. This Fall
The Mazda MX-5 Miata has never been about power; it’s a car whose sole purpose is to help the driver and passenger fall in love with driving. But, a little extra power never hurts, which comes as one aspect of numerous updates for the 2019 model year.
Mazda’s engineers enriched MX-5’s SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine with the goals of improved response, performance, feel and efficiency. The net results are 181 horsepower at 7,000 rpm—a 17-percent improvement—and 151 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm, with a richer torque curve throughout MX-5’s entire rev range.
Speaking of rev range, redline has increased from 6,800 rpm to 7,500 rpm. Engineers were able to increase performance through several means, including:
- Reducing internal mass and friction: Each piston has been reduced 27g in mass, thanks to a minimized skirt area. Connecting rods are 41g lighter than previous units.
- Reducing exhaust loss: The upgraded engine carries an increased valve opening angle and valve lift height. The inner diameter of the exhaust manifold has also been increased. The net results are a 30-percent reduction in pumping losses.
- Improved combustion: Reconfigured intake ports and new high-diffusion, higher-pressure fuel injectors improve the tumble and swirl of fuel in the cylinder and better-atomize fuel. The benefit is improved efficiency and torque at all rpm.
- Dual-mass flywheel: Replacing the single-mass flywheel with a low-inertia, dual-mass flywheel improves smoothness and responsiveness.
- A new exhaust system with richer sound quality.
- New final drive ratio: The transmission’s final drive ratio has been increased from 3.454 to 3.583 in models equipped with an automatic transmission in order to improve linear response to match the driver’s intentions. Gear ratios are otherwise unchanged from previous models.
As a result of numerous changes, MX-5 is quicker, more responsive and aims to be more engaging to drive, adhering to Mazda’s unique Jinba Ittai—”horse and rider as one”—engineering philosophy.
You can read the full article by visiting InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com.
Test Drive the Mazda MX-5 Miata at Borgman Mazda in Grand Rapids, MI
Whether you want to hit the road to adventure in West Michigan today, or want to test drive the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata when it arrives this fall, visit Borgman Mazda in Grand Rapids and experience our unparalleled customer service. Our team is highly knowledgeable and friendly, so we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the New MX-5 Miata or any other New Mazda Vehicle but will never pressure you into a sale.
During your visit, be sure to ask about our Day Trader Program for extended test drives and our Exclusive 20-Year 200,000 Mile Warranty with Every New Mazda vehicle we sell. If you see a better deal on your favorite Mazda elsewhere, let us know and we’ll match it. Come and see why we’re West Michigan’s Exclusive Mazda Dealer!